We know that feeling! Your excited! Headed away from your parent’s house… on your way to college… and you’re lucky enough to be driving your own car packed full of all the essentials! There are also a number of costs associated with having your car, and we want to make sure you are prepared.
1 – Make sure you are insured. Driving without the minimum required insurance could get you in trouble – and you don’t want to get your license revoked!
2 – Although you are headed away to college, and away from your parents to a more independent life, you might want to consider remaining on their insurance policy. This may be a more affordable option, just be sure that you are the primary driver of the vehicle you are taking to school with you.
3 – How can you make insurance work in your favor? Show them what a responsible person you are.
- Keep your grades up. Some insurance companies offer discounts for a GPA of 3.0 and higher.
- Tell them the location of your school. Rates are sometimes lower outside of bigger cities. And if you live within 3 miles of your school, you get another discount!
- Choose a responsible vehicle. This may be the time to pass on that sports car – go for the more responsible vehicle. And you might even want to choose a newer model which would require less maintenance.
- Don’t let your credit get out of hand. Insurance companies look at your credit score as a factor when determining your rate.
- Insurance companies love safety features! Be sure to review all of the safety features with your insurance company – you may get credits on your rate for these.
- Drive smart! Follow the rules and laws of the road! Insurance companies will give a lower rate to a driver that doesn’t have tickets on their driving record.
4 – Remember that you will still have to maintain your vehicle while you are away at school. Find out where the nearest service stations are. Keep track of when you need an oil change, how your tires are wearing, if your windshield wipers are worn out, and make sure those brakes are working well!
5 – Consider investing in a roadside assistance program, such as AAA. You never know when you may need it, and the small cost associated with a membership may be a huge help for you one day!
At Car Direct, our goal is to help you in finding the right vehicle for you. Check out our inventory page to see what we currently have in stock. Don’t see what you’re looking for? Give us a call – that vehicle may be on its way in. If not, we’ll find it for you!